decorative-icon Non-Owned Property

29 July 2014

Good morning,

Business Affairs (BA) Property Control Department would like to remind University of Oregon (UO) personnel of their responsibilities associated with using non-University owned property in the course of UO business.

In general, the UO does not accept responsibility for non-University owned property that is damaged, lost, or stolen.

University insurance coverage can be provided for non-University owned property that meets all of the following requirements:

  • Is reported to and tracked by the BAO Property Control Department
  • Is used for official University business
  • Its use has been approved by your department head or director
  • Is not for personal use (ex. personal refrigerators, fans, pictures, paintings, plants, radios, etc.)
  • Is referenced in a properly executed Personal Property Loan Agreement (refer to the instructions for additional information)
  • The loss claim meets the minimum deductible per occurrence and any other applicable policy requirements

Please note, University departments may be held responsible for the difference in the insurance proceeds and the repair or replacement cost per the Personal Property Loan Agreement.

The BAO Property Control Department suggests that individuals who have personally owned property on campus take the following precautions to avoid the possibility of it being mistaken for University owned property:

  • Mark the equipment for identification of ownership
  • Provide the department head with a list of personally owned property being used on University premises

Should confusion arise, proof of ownership will rest with the individual, not with the UO.

Thank you,

BAO Property Control Department

Molly Lockhart, 6-1250,
Christina Green, 6-3190,