Trade-in of Equipment
4 March 2015
The Business Affairs Office (BAO) Property Control Department would like to remind campus departments of their responsibilities regarding trade-in of University of Oregon (UO) equipment.
- Capitalized equipment (generally $5,000 or greater and has a useful life of greater than one year).
- High-risk and other minor equipment (generally less than $5,000 or has a useful life of less than one year).
Trade-ins include, but are not limited to:
- Capitalized equipment for capitalized equipment.
- Minor equipment for capitalized equipment.
- Capitalized equipment for minor equipment.
- Minor equipment for minor equipment.
Before trading-in equipment, please note:
- Sponsored Project Services approval must be obtained when trading-in equipment purchased with sponsored funds.
- Gifted equipment must be researched to ensure no restrictions for trade-in exist.
- Perform a cost-benefit analysis of asset(s) to be traded-in. Things to consider:
- Would the use of the equipment by a UO department outweigh the trade-in value?
- Would another UO department be willing to purchase the equipment?
- Is trading in the equipment the most efficient and effective method of disposal?
After trading-in equipment:
- In addition to the standard document text in the Banner invoice please list:
- The description and asset number (if applicable) of the equipment being traded in.
- Amount of trade-in value for each piece of equipment.
Please complete and submit a Property Disposition Request (PDR) to the Property Control Department.
BAO Property Control Department