Back to Top

How can I get my document back to make a change or add text?

If a journal voucher has been completed and doesn't need to go through an approval queue, it can't be retrieved to make changes or additions. If an approval queue is involved (as with amounts > $5,000, grants and general ledger account codes), you can call the person in charge of the approval queue and have that person disapprove the journal voucher. Then you will be able to go into the journal voucher and make any desired changes.

If an invoice has been completed, as with journal vouchers, you will only be able to go into it if it goes to an approval queue and the person in charge of the approval queue (Maryam Peigahi at 6-3152) disapproves it. However, with invoices there is another option. If the invoice has already been approved, you can call Accounts Payable (6-3143) and have the invoice cancelled if that is the best option. Then you can start again with a fresh invoice.

New lines of text may now be added to a completed document using Banner form FOATEXT. Go to this screen,enter the type of document and the document number, and then use the down arrow key to access a new line.
Add your name, telephone number, and the date, and then add the desired new text. Adding text in this way will not affect the original document.

Back to Top

Did my journal voucher (or invoice, deposit, etc.) clear?

I can't find my journal voucher, invoice, etc.

There are several steps to take in tracking down a "lost" transaction. The order in which the steps are taken is not important. If you are fairly sure that you completed the transaction and you have the document number, go to FIS form FGIDOCR and query on the document number. If the transaction has posted it will be retrieved on FGIDOCR.
If the transaction needs to go through one or more approval queues, it may take several days to be approved and post.

If the transaction hasn't been completed or you aren't sure whether or not it has been completed, go to the transaction input screen, enter the document number, and attempt to go into the document. If the document has been completed, you will not be able to go into the document, and you will see a message saying that the document has been completed. If the document has not been completed you will be able to go into it, correct any errors, and complete it.

If the transaction is being done by someone else and you don't know the document number, look for the transaction under your index or FOAPAL in FGITRND. Transactions from major campus departments, such as Telecom, Facilities Services (Physical Plant), and Cashiers, can be identified by the document number prefix and rule type (see FIS Document Prefixes and Reference Phone Numbers for further information).

Back to Top

What is this charge (or credit) to my index?

Ideally, the name and extension number of the person creating the transaction, as well as the person's department,would be given in the description or text of the document. However, if not, follow the steps below.

Go to FIS form FGITRND, if you are not there already. Find the transaction and its document number. The one or two letters that form the document number prefix may tell you the department that created the trans- action. For example,a document number beginning with JC is a Telecom charge and one beginning with ZA would be a Facilities Services(Physical Plant) charge (see FIS Document Prefixes and Reference Phone Numbers for a complete listing of document prefixes and corresponding departments). Deposits through Cashiers would have a document prefix of F and a ruletype of 8MSC (see Rule Classes for help in interpreting rule types).

If the document is a journal voucher with the ordinary J prefix or an invoice with the usual I prefix, you can find the name of the person who input the transaction by going to FOIAPPH and querying on the document number. This should allow you to identify the source of the transaction.

Back to Top

What is my cash balance?

(Sometimes the question is: "What is my fund balance or account balance?")

Finding a cash balance or fund balance is appropriate for self-support funds. This would include 055xxx (operating funds), 09xxxx (service departments), 1xxxxx (auxiliaries, vending funds), and 4xxxxx (gifts, scholarships). For General Fund indexes, other budgeted funds and grants, see FAQ 2., below.

Assuming you want to know your overall cash or fund balance (cash plus receivables, etc.), go to FIS form FGITBAL and query on your fund. Your fund balance is given in the Current Fund Balance field at the lower right.

Back to Top

What is my budget balance?

This question is appropriate for General Fund indexes (fund = 001100) and other budgeted funds, such as Indirect Cost Credit indexes (fund = 001700) and income/expense indexes (funds = 0012xx to 0014xx). Grants will have an expense budget, which will also be discussed below.

To find your budget balance go to FIS form FGIBDST and query on your index (for grants see below). Usually, budgeted amounts will only be in certain general account codes, not distributed to all the account codes in which you have had transactions. Therefore, it is more helpful to go to FGIBSUM, which can be done by clicking on Budget Summary Information. (This is easier than going directly to FGIBSUM). FGIBSUM gives budget balances for the major budget categories. Also given is the net available balance for all budget categories combined.

For grants, go to FWIGITD and query on your grant. Press Block Menu and select "Show Expense Summary and Totals." You will be shown your budget balances for the major expense categories and for total direct expense and for total expense.

Back to Top

How do I choose the correct account code?

You can access the Account Code Table Validation Form (FTVACCT) by clicking on from the JV, invoice, or other FIS forms. Better than scrolling through the lengthy table, it's more efficient to do a List Query. By querying on a key word in the account code description (see list below) and/or the first two or three digits of the account code, you will a get a more manageable list of codes. Once you locate the desired code, you can double-click it for transfer to your form.

(Note: Fiscal Policy Manual also has a useful listing of account code categories, account codes, and their descriptions.)

Common General Expense Account Code Categories:

Account Description

20001 Supplies/Minor Equipment (201XX - 203XX)

21000 Agricultural Related

22000 Communications

22500 Postage & Shipping

23000 Utilities

23300 Waste Disposal

23500 Maintenance & Repairs

24000 Rentals & Leases

24500 Fees & Services (245XX - 249XX)

25000 Med/Scientific Svc & Supply (250XX - 251XX)

28000 Assessments (280XX - 284XX)

28501 Employee Related & 1099

28600 Conferences/Entertainment/Etc

28700 Fiscal Management Expense

28800 Debt/Investment Expense

28900 Misc Services & Supplies

29000 Training

35000 Travel

38000 Transfers to OR State Agencies

40000 Capital Outlay (Includes Equipment)



Please use an appropriate account code. For expenses, account codes should be in the 2XXXX series (includes general services or supplies), 3XXXX series (includes travel), or 4XXXX series (includes inventoried equipment).

Account codes in the 5XXXX, 6XXXX, 7XXXX, 8XXXX, and 9XXXX series have certain restrictions and are not to be used with certain funds. Account codes in the 0XXXX series are for revenue and are only used for non-OU revenue.

Please call Brett Giles at 6-1114 if you have questions about selecting an account code.

Back to Top

Which revenue account code do I use?

(0xxxx) Revenue , (09xxx) Service Department, or (79xxx) Internal Sales Reimbursement?

First, note what type of fund is being credited. Separate guidelines apply to the General Fund (001100), Service Department funds (09xxxx), Auxiliary funds (1xxxxx), and others. See the Fund Account Code Matrix.

Second, note whether the source of the credit is from within the University of Oregon (UO) or from outside sources, including students. If the credit is from within UO, you should generally use account codes in the 09xxx or 79xxx series; only the General Fund and  the ICC Credits fund (001700) use 79xxx account codes (see the table below). Credit from outside UO is usually considered "true revenue", for which you would use a 0xxxx account code. The one exception would be a reimbursement from a vendor for overpayment etc, in which case you should use the original account code to receive the payment.

Please note that the General Fund and the ICC Credits fund do not receive individual payments from outside UO; therefore, credits to these funds should not use revenue (0xxxxx) account codes. If a credit is truly revenue, you should probably use an income/expense, designated operations, or other appropriate fund. Additionally,many grant funds are not allowed to receive payments from any source other than the granting agency.

To decide what account code to use for crediting your fund, locate your fund and the source of the credit in the table below. If you have further questions, please call Brett Giles at (6-1114) in Business Affairs.

001100 General Fund 79xxx N/A
0012xx-0014xx Income/ Expense 09xxx 0xxxx
0017xx ICC Credits 79xxx N/A
05xxxx Designated Ops 09xxx 0xxxx
09xxxx Service Departments 09xxx 06xxx
1xxxxx Auxiliary Enterprises 09xxx 06xxx
425xxx 435xxx Gift Funds N/A 03xxx

Note that Grant funds may have special restrictions.

For reductions/transfers of expense for specific, posted expenses, use the original expense account code to credit the original fund.

Back to Top

How do I get a list of my Department Indexes?

You can use form FTMACCI to query account index information.

For a simple organization query like the one in your question you would navigate to FTMACCI, click on the (ENTER QUERY) icon, cursor to the Organization field and enter your organization code, and then click onthe (EXECUTE QUERY) icon. Use the (NEXT RECORD)/(PREVIOUS RECORD) functions to view the results of your query.

More complex queries are possible, i.e. combining fund, organization code and program code. You can also use the wildcard indicator '%' in your queries.

Back to Top

What is the significance of the dates shown on Banner FIS forms? Specifically:

FGIDOCR (Document Retrieval)?

The date shown on FGIDOCR is the transaction date. When processing an invoice or journal voucher the system defaults the current date into this field. You can override the default and back date to a previous month during the first few days of each month. This happens all the time with our interface transactions, like telecom charges. They are entered into the system on about the 3rd of one month but the transaction date is set to the 20th of the previous month, when the expense really happened.

FGITRND (Detail Transaction Activity)

The date shown on FGITRND is also the transaction date.

FZITRND (Grant Detail Transaction Activity)

The activity date is diplayed on FZITRND. That is the date it was entered into Banner. Which in the telecom charge mentioned above in FGIDOCR maybe different than the transaction date. If you wanted to isolate data for a particular fiscal period you can enter the same fiscal year and period in the "From" and "To" fields. The results may show date from two different months.

Back to Top