How to Dispose of Surplus Property

Surplus Website

Offer usable property to campus:

  • To post for the first time, you must register with your UO Duck ID.
  • If the property is in good condition, other departments on UO campus may need it.
  • Departments are required to post all working surplus property, e-waste and furniture, in good condition on the UO Surplus Website for one week before disposal.
  • Do not post broken items or IT equipment that no longer run a supported operating system (see below).
  • Departments need to securely store the property for that period of time. (Do not place items in hallways or under fire escape stairwells or loading docks).
  • Departments that want to acquire the posted property will contact the disposing department directly. The department offering the property is responsible for determining a price (there is no requirement for a UO department to charge another). CPUs that are moving from one department to another must be cleansed prior to transfer. Please contact Property Control for assistance.
  • UO departments can also post Wanted items at this site.

Transfers to Other Departments

  • If Property is on inventory and in the Banner Fixed Asset System; complete an Asset Maintenance Form and forward to Property Control/Thompson University Center (TUC)
  • If Property is not on inventory; the transferring department must retain a copy of the transfer record showing name of department transferred to and name of person receiving the property.
  • The identification of the person picking up the property must be confirmed with the receiving department.
  • The receiving department should document in their minor equipment file that they received the property, and from which department. Departments should shop at UO Department Surplus Listing web site before purchasing property.
  • If the transfer includes financial compensation Property Control can assist with the completion of a JV in Banner using the methodology shown below:
  • If the equipment is fully depreciated capital equipment or minor equipment:
    • Debit: Purchasing departments index, account code 20200 (Minor Equipment)
    • Credit: Selling departments index, account code 09350 (Resale of Equipment Internal Sales)
  • If the equipment is capitalized and not fully depreciated:
    • Debit: Purchasing departments index, account code 4010X*
    • Credit: Selling departments index, account code 4010X*
  • *Capital expense codes:
    • 40101 Equipment
    • 40104 Vehicles
    • 40201 Vessels
  • Before transferring equipment between departments, please note:
    • Sponsored Project Services approval must be obtained when selling equipment purchased with sponsored funds.
    • Gifted equipment must be researched to ensure no restrictions for transfer exist.
  • If the transfer includes IT equipment with a storage device containing medium or high risk data it must be sanitized before transfer using this procedure. 

Property Disposition Request

An online Property Disposition Request (PDR) may be completed to request pickup and disposal of capital equipment and e-waste. E-Waste is defined as property that plugs in or has batteries. If you still have either of these types of property after posting to the surplus website then complete the PDR at

Instructions on completing the PDR form:

  • Provide contact information.
  • Specify whether the property was offered to campus.
  • Indicate the reason for disposal.
  • Provide a description and condition
  • If the item is not on your departments inventory, then you wont have an asset number (green or yellow property tag), so leave blank.
  • Mark quantity - Example; If you have 4 working monitors, you can group them together on the same line.
  • A file listing the equipment may be substituted
  • Do not combine e-waste and furniture (or non-capital items) on the same PDR, see disposing furniture below.

After the PDR has been submitted it will be reviewed by Property Control and forwarded to Facilities Services to schedule a pick up date and time.

Sponsored Project Services will review and authorize disposal of equipment purchased with restricted funds.

Treasury will review and authorize disposal of Bond purchased equipment.

Please allow two weeks to receive a phone call from facilities services to schedule the pickup.

Items must be labeled SURPLUS. Items must be labeled WORKING or NOT WORKING.

Someone must be available to sign that they are releasing custody of the property when the property is being picked up.


A work order may be requested with Facility Services for disposition and removal of non-capital equipment. A PDR is only used for e-waste and capital equipment (may include furniture if the item was $5,000 or over at time of purchase).


Refrigerators and freezers used in lab spaces must first be cleared by EHS. They are not permitted to be recycled through standard routes. See: Disposal of Refrigerators, Freezers, and other Refrigeration Units

Policy and Procedure

Method of Disposal; Eligibility to Acquire

  1. The Chancellor's Office or institution will use a method of disposal that is cost-effective, taking into account the costs of disposal and the potential for financial return. Disposal methods include, but are not limited to, exchanges, trade-ins, auctions, sealed bid sales, scrapping, fixed price retail sales, donation to other state agencies, Oregon political subdivisions, public non-profits, web-based auctions or sales and, for scrap, transfer for no valuable consideration.
  2. No current or former employee or agent for such will be granted any benefit or opportunity not granted the general public in acquisition of items through the disposal process.
  3. All property is conveyed "AS-IS, WHERE-IS" with no warranty, express or implied, of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, or any other warranties or guarantees. The public non-profit will have no recourse against the State of Oregon, the Oregon University System, an institution, or any of their officers, employees, or agents. All donations will be final.
  4. Surplus property not claimed within 1 working day will be considered the property of the UO and may be offered to another public non-profit or disposed of in compliance with these rules. Public non-profit assumes all responsibility, including risk of loss or damage, for the item when transferred.

Public Sales for Disposal of Surplus Personal Property

  1. Conduct The Department must conduct public sales for the disposal of state Surplus Property. Methods of disposal may include, but not be limited to: internet auctions, oral auctions, sealed bid sales and fixed price retail sales, separately or in any combination thereof.
  2. Eligibility Members of the general public may participate as buyers at public sales. No employee whether full-time, part-time, temporary or unpaid volunteer, of the Department, member of the employee's household, the employee's immediate family, or any person acting on the employee's behalf may participate in public sales if the employee has had any role in declaring the item surplus, processing the item or related paperwork, or offering it for sale. No employee of the Property Distribution Center's programs, or members of the employee's immediate family, or any person acting on the employee's behalf, may purchase items offered through any public sales regardless of whether such employee had a role in declaring the item surplus, in processing the item, or in offering it for sale.