Property - Disposal
Property - Disposal
For information regarding surplus property disposal, please click here.
Departments should use the Asset Maintenance Form (AMF) to notify the Property Control Department of most transfers of equipment. Transfers include but are not limited to:
- A move or transfer from one department to another department (with or without a financial transaction)
- A move from one location (building or room) to another
- A move off-campus for University business
- Cannibalization (parting out) of obsolete or broken equipment
- Lost or stolen equipment
When a transfer of equipment between departments includes financial compensation, PCD can assist departments with the completion of a Journal Voucher (JV) in Banner.
If the equipment is fully depreciated capital equipment or minor equipment:
Debit: Purchasing departments index, account code 20200 (Minor Equipment)
Credit: Selling departments index, account code 09350 (Resale of Equipment Internal Sales)
If the equipment is capitalized and not fully depreciated:
Debit: Purchasing departments index, account code 4010X*
Credit: Selling departments index, account code 4010X*
*Capital expense codes:
- 40101 Equipment
- 40104 Vehicles
- 40201 Vessels
Before transferring equipment between departments, please note:
- Sponsored Project Services approval must be obtained when selling equipment purchased with sponsored funds or when purchasing equipment with sponsored funds.
- Gifted equipment must be researched to ensure no restrictions for transfer exist.
- We recommend departments utilize the UO Department Surplus Listing website which can be found at http://surplus.uoregon.edu/.
- For guidelines to determine fair market value please visit https://ba.uoregon.edu/staff/gifts-of-cash-or-property#Procedures_for_Gifts_in_Kind_Property.
- The Asset Maintenance Form can be found at http://pages.uoregon.edu/baoforms/bao_drupal_6/sites/ba.uoregon.edu/files/forms/amf.pdf.
Trade-ins include, but are not limited to:
- Capitalized equipment for capitalized equipment.
- Minor equipment for capitalized equipment.
- Capitalized equipment for minor equipment.
- Minor equipment for minor equipment.
Before trading-in equipment, please note:
- Sponsored Project Services approval must be obtained when trading-in equipment purchased with sponsored funds.
- Gifted equipment must be researched to ensure no restrictions for trade-in exist.
- Perform a cost-benefit analysis of asset(s) to be traded-in. Things to consider:
- Would the use of the equipment by a UO department outweigh the trade-in value?
- Would another UO department be willing to purchase the equipment?
- Is trading in the equipment the most efficient and effective method of disposal?
After trading-in equipment:
- In addition to the standard document text in the Banner invoice please list:
- The description and asset number (if applicable) of the equipment being traded in.
- Amount of trade-in value for each piece of equipment.
- Please complete and submit a Property Disposition Report (PDR) to the Property Control Department.