Tax Benefits 1098T
1098-T Tuition Statements for 2023
1098-T Tuition Statements for 2023 will be mailed by January 31st, 2024. Students may access duplicate 1098-T statements online through Duckweb.
Students may access their 1098-T statements by following the directions below:
- Log in to Duckweb
- Select "Student Menu"
- Select "Tax Notification - 1098-T"
- Enter the desired tax year
- Enter the last four digits of your SSN
- Click Submit
IRS Form 1098-T Tuition Statement
The 1098-T tax form is a statement of qualified tuition and fees* paid to the University of Oregon and the amount of scholarships and grants received during the calendar year that is provided to the student as well as reported and filed with the IRS. In addition, the 1098-T tax form contains the filers (University of Oregon) address, Federal Tax ID number and contact information, along with the students name, address, social security number, and enrollment status. The 1098-T is intended to assist you in calculating your eligibility for tax credits, such as the Lifetime Learning Credit and the American Opportunity Credit. As an eligible educational institution, the University of Oregon is required by law to provide 1098-T Tuition Statements to students who were enrolled in courses at the University during the calendar year.
*Qualified tuition and related expenses are defined by the IRS as tuition and fees a student must pay to be enrolled at or attend an eligible educational institution. In general, not all charges incurred during a calendar year will meet IRS requirements. See Box 1 description below.
- Box 1. Payments Received for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses: The total payments from any source received by the University of Oregon for qualified tuition and related expenses less any reimbursements or refunds made during 2023 that relate to payments received during 2023. Please note the amount in Box 1 may NOT equal to or sum to the charges paid for calendar year 2023 because not all charges are considered qualified tuition and related expenses as defined by the Internal Revenue Service.
- Box 2. This box will be blank.
- Box 3. Checkbox for Change of Reporting Method: This box will not be checked by the University of Oregon for 2021 due to the change of institutional reporting requirements under federal law.
- Box 4. Adjustments Made for a Prior Year: This box is used to report reductions in qualified tuition and related expenses that were reported in a prior year. This amount may reduce any allowable education credit you may claim for the prior year.
- Box 5. Scholarships or Grants: This box reports the total amount of all scholarships or grants posted to your account during the calendar year. Scholarships and/or grants will be reported in Box 5 and Box 1 (payments received).
- Box 6. Adjustments to Scholarships or Grants for a Prior Year: This box is used to report reductions to scholarships or grants previously reported in prior years.
- Box 7. Checkbox for Amounts for an Academic Period Beginning in January through March (the following calendar year): This box will be checked if qualified tuition and related expenses are paid in one year, but the academic period begins January through March of the following year. Example: Winter term charges are billed in December but classes begin in January.
- Box 8. Check if at Least Half-Time Student: This box will be checked if the student was at least a half-time student during any academic period during the calendar year.
- Box 9. Check if a Graduate Student: This box will be checked if the student was enrolled in a program or programs leading to a graduate-level degree, graduate level certificate, or other recognized graduate level educational credential.
- Box 10. Insurance Contract Reimbursements or Refunds: This box will be blank.
Copies of 2010 through 2023 1098-T Tuition Statements are available online through Duckweb from the Student Menu.
1098-T Tuition Statements prior to 2010 are not available online. Students and Authorized Payers can request duplicate copies by contacting a representative in the Student Billing Department at 541-346-3170 or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The following information is required to process your request:
- Student's legal name and UO ID number
- Tax year of the 1098-T that you are requesting
- Daytime contact phone number for the student or Authorized Payer
- Mailing address* where you would like the duplicate 1098-T mailed
- Please allow 5-7 business days to process your request
*Please note that duplicate 1098-T tax forms can only be mailed to an address that is already established in our system. For a new address, students must first update or add the address through Duckweb prior to requesting a duplicate tax form.
University of Oregon employees cannot offer or provide tax advice. However, if you have questions about the information provided on form 1098-T, you may contact a University of Oregon representative after February 1st at (541) 346-3170 or by email at: email@example.comBack to Top