State-owned Vehicles


Motor pool vehicles may be used for official state business only. Use of a state vehicle is not authorized when costs are charged to Agency Funds, except for use by Campus Organizations or for other legitimate state business purposes as approved by authorized campus personnel. The department that authorizes a state vehicle's use is financially accountable for damages and all costs resulting from violations of policies relating to state vehicle use.

Procedure - Motor Pool

Procedure Detail

Motor Pool vehicles may be used by UO employees, students and official volunteers with the approval of the department head and from UO Parking and Transportation.

Members of organizations whose only fiscal connection to the University is the receipt of or an accountability for incidental fee support or having an interest in one or more EMU or Housing Trust Fund Accounts may rent vehicle from state owned motor pool. The department that authorizes a state vehicle's use is financially accountable for damages and all costs resulting from violations of policies relating to state vehicle use.

Official Volunteers are required to have a Volunteer form on file with UO Safety and Risk Services. This rule shall apply to State-owned vehicles, hired vehicles and borrowed vehicles used on University business travel.

Drivers must hold current UO Driver Certification

Oregon State University Motor Pool site is in Glenwood. Vehicles offered include hybrids, sedans, pickups, mini and large passenger vans. Reservations are made calling (541) 346-2000 or by going online. 

Driver's are encouraged to complete the OSU Driver Authorization profile for quicker, more efficient handling of reservations and direct billing to department. 

State Motor Pool (Salem) information: Motor Pool Checkout Card Application

Billing:  Billing for motor pool vehicles is distributed to your department monthly by the Travel Office within the Business Affairs Office.

Motor Pool Van Rental: To rent an 8 or 12 passenger van, or large cargo van from the Motor Pool, you must pass a Van Safety Test and have an active UO Driver Certification. Students, volunteers and temporary employees need to take the Van Safety Test annually

Accidents: The renter of a vehicle involved in an accident, must report the accident within 24 hours to the UO Safety and Risk Services.  

Supervisor's Vehicle Incident Report.


[1] Private Use Prohibited

Using a state-owned vehicle for private purposes or allowing another person to do so is prohibited (ORS 283.395) and punishable, upon conviction, by a fine (ORS 283.990).

[2] Vehicle Safety Including Authorized Drivers

University policy on Traffic, Parking and Vehicle Safety (former OAR 580-40-0030) provides safety guidelines regarding transportation in a state owned, leased or controlled vehicle.

[3] Overnight Parking at Employee's Residence

A state vehicle may be kept overnight at an employee's residence when doing so is approved in advance by authorized campus personnel.

Private Vehicles


Private Vehicles may be utilized for business-related travel.

The per-mile reimbursement rate is determined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Employees who receive a Car Allowance Stipend are not eligible for per-mile reimbursement.

Mileage for the most direct, usually-traveled route may be reimbursed.

Procedure - Personally Owned Vehicle Mileage

Procedure Detail

IRS mileage allowance for 2020:  Starting Jan. 1, 2020 - 57.5 cents per mile.

IRS mileage allowance for 2019:  Starting Jan. 1, 2019 - Dec. 31, 2019  - 58 cents per mile.


UO Driver Certification is required.  

Mileage calculations generally start at the employee's official workstation, but home is used if it is the shorter distance. Private car mileage of 10 miles each way is allowed to and from the Eugene airport.

Mileage for personal reasons when in travel status will not be reimbursed.

Mileage expenses will not be reimbursed on a borrowed or rented vehicle but fuel receipts may be submitted for reimbursement. 

Employees and agents authorized to use their privately owned vehicles for official business are required to have personal automobile liability insurance to provide the primary coverage for any accidents involving that vehicle. University-provided automobile liability coverage will apply on a limited basis after the employee's primary coverage limits have been used. The university does not provide physical damage, uninsured motorist and personal injury protection for personal vehicles. For additional information, contact the Office of Safety and Risk Services.

[1] Highway mileage

Use standard mileage guides, odometer/tripometer readings, or online mapping tools (e.g., Substantial deviations from standard distances or usual routes must be justified. Mileage calculations generally start at the employee's official work station.

Procedure - Standard Mileage table:

Vehicle Rental


Vehicle rental expenses may be reimbursed. A car, boat, aircraft or other vehicle may be rented when it is the most cost-effective, efficient means of transportation that meets the business purpose. Receipts are required for vehicle rentals. Employees are encouraged to utilize State of Oregon contracts which provide discount rates, car upgrades, and insurance coverage. Employees are also encouraged to use their corporate travel cards when renting vehicles because of the primary Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) coverage provided.

Procedure - State of Oregon contract information, departmental direct bill, payment and receipt requirements

Procedure Detail

An itemized, final rental car receipt is required for reimbursement. Anyone driving for UO business should be certified through the UO Department of Parking and Transportation. UO Driver Certification.  

When renting a vehicle for UO business and using the corporate travel One Card, a claim must be filed within 90 days of the date of the incident in order for Collision Loss Damage Waiver coverage to extend to the loss. To file a claim notify

State of Oregon discount contacts are for UO business use only.  If your travel involves personal time or travel with friends, family, or any non UO employee or student, you may not use the negotiated contract rates.  Please select a car rental off contract, divide the rental total by the total number of days used and submit the business days only for reimbursement. 

For use of State of Oregon rental car contracts:, use corporate discount numbers and/or PIN to reserve:

If your department would like to set up direct billing with Enterprise and National, please contact:

Clint Fulcher

Business Rental Sales Director
Cell: 503-913-3188
Fax: 503-346-0667

Procedure - Students renting vehicles:

Procedure Detail

Students authorized to drive for university business should utilize the State of Oregon contracts as they allow underage drivers age 18 and older without adding a minimum age surcharge.

Students driving for UO business are required to obtain UO Driver's Certification from UO Transportation Services:  

Procedure - Vehicle Rental Including Personal Time:

Procedure Detail

State of Oregon rental car contracts cannot be used when combining personal time with business. Additionally, the Enterprise/National departmental direct bill feature cannot be used when personal time is included. Please see the Enterprise/National FAQs for discount code for personal rentals. To calculate reimbursement for the prorated business expense, divide the total cost of the rental by the number of total days to determine reimbursable amount for the business days.

Procedure - Official Volunteers renting vehicles:

Procedure Detail

Volunteers are required to have a Volunteer form on file with UO Office of Risk Management when driving.

Procedure - Visitors/Lecturers/Interview Candidates/Independent Contractors:

Procedure Detail

Any visitor, guest, or potential employee who is not on UO payroll is not eligible to use the State of Oregon rental vehicle contracts. Rentals cannot be direct billed to the UO department. Guests must pay for the rental vehicle and seek reimbursement. Only the CDW/LDW insurance may be reimbursed.  See the Enterprise list of discount codes for guest rentals. 

[1] Insurance on Rented Vehicles

The university provides self-insurance coverage for rental vehicles if they are to be used exclusively for official business. A certificate of insurance may be obtained from the Office of Risk Management

If a rental vehicle is to be used for a mix of personal and business purposes, the university's self-insurance coverage is only applicable for the portion of travel applicable to official business. The employee or agent will want to check with his/her insurance agent regarding coverage for personal usage.

If the employee or agent plans to travel outside the United States, its territories and possessions, and Canada, the department should contact the Office of Risk Management for help in obtaining the appropriate coverage.

Procedure - Rental Vehicle insurance:

Procedure Detail

CDW/LDW insurance may be reimbursed for the business portion only. Some international vehicle rentals have mandatory insurance requirements.  Documentation of mandatory insurance is required for reimbursement. Other types of optional insurance are not reimbursed.

[2] Responsibilities After an Accident

The renter of a vehicle involved in an accident is responsible for immediately reporting the accident to the Office of Risk Management. Supervisor's vehicle incident report

Responsibilities After an Accident

Procedure Detail

When renting a vehicle for UO business and using the corporate travel One Card or using the State of Oregon contract, a claim must be filed within 90 days of the date of the incident in order for Collision Loss Damage Waiver coverage to extend to the loss. To file a claim notify