Travel: Guiding Principles
- Faculty, staff, and student travel is necessary to support and enhance the university’s mission
- Travelers are expected to be, and believed to be, reasonable and prudent utilizing university resources for travel
- Budget Authorities are accountable and responsible for appropriate use of university resources. Departments are free to create policies/limits that are more restrictive (but not less restrictive) than university-wide policies/limits
- All university travel will be conducted within the university’s managed travel program in order to inform university risk management functions and to exercise appropriate stewardship of public funds
- University processes related to travel should not be overly onerous so as to negatively affect travelers (including guests, visitors, recruits, etc.)
- Travel processes should be clear, consistent, transparent, convenient, efficient, and compliant
- Travel payments/reimbursements are for official, business-related expenses only, not for personal expenses of the traveler or any traveling companions
Procedure - Guiding Principles
The Concur travel reimbursement process is used for the reimbursement of travel expenses of employees and students who travel as UO employees. For Student Travel and Guest Travel, review the information contained in those sections of the UO travel website to determine how to correctly pay for expenses and/or process reimbursements.
A travel reimbursement cannot be filed before the trip is completed and should be filed in a reasonable period of time, generally within 60 days of the completion of travel, per IRS Accountable Plan guidelines. If the trip is exceptionally lengthy, interim filings may be permitted.
Procedure - Grant and Sponsored Travel
When traveling on sponsored project funds, please note that the award or sponsor may have travel requirements or limitations that are more restrictive than university travel policy. Please be aware of any requirements or limitations for travel costs on your awards, and contact Sponsored Projects Services with questions.