Transportation expenses incurred while traveling on official business may be reimbursed. Personal expenses, such as private vehicle repair and maintenance, may not. The following expenses may be reimbursed or paid directly:

  • Common carrier fare
  • Rental Vehicle charges
  • Private-vehicle mileage allowance
  • Taxi or shuttle service fare (including gratuity)
  • Parking and garage fees

Common Carrier Fares

Transportation by common carrier is recommended when it is more appropriate and economical than travel by state or private vehicle. Common carriers are usually preferred for out-of-state travel. Actual cost is paid or reimbursed for airline, railroad and bus fares for travel.

[1] Airlines

All employees are encouraged to travel using routes, schedules, and airlines that provide the most cost-effective, efficient travel that meets the business purpose. Economy Plus and/or Business Class airfare are authorized for any leg of international flights where the elapsed time in-the-air is eight hours or greater. First Class airfare is not authorized.

Air travel paid from federal funds must conform to the Fly America Act

Procedures for Air travel

Purchasing Airfare

Changes in UO Travel Guidelines - March 2018

ATTENTION:  If you are considering purchasing a seat upgrade for international travel (elasped flight time of 8 hours or greater) when traveling on federal grant funds, be sure to check grant rules for any restrictions prior to purchase.

Travelers and travel coordinators will submit a Concur Request with an approximate itinerary and travel cost for budgetary and programmatic approval before travel bookings are ticketed.  The request can be submitted via computer or by using a mobile device app.  An approved Concur Request will launch the Concur Travel booking tool, populate the Concur Expense report to provide a placeholder for incoming receipts, and provides location information in Concur Locate, used by UO Risk and Safety for duty of care in case of health, weather, or other emergent situations.

Travelers and travel coordinators will book air travel using Concur Travel (an online booking tool) or directly through their preferred university travel management company (TMC).  Concur Travel and TMC bookings take advantage of university-negotiated discounts and lower ticketing fees, limit the unintended purchase of basic economy fares (no-frills, unchangeable, non-refundable tickets), and ensure compliance with the Fly America Act (required for travel paid by federal grants).  Outside bookings will only be permitted if a university cost saving can be demonstrated in advance.

Travel should be based on the most cost effective, efficient travel, while traveling on official business. This is generally one day before and one day after the dates of the conference/meeting/business.  Direct route (official work location airport) is not required.

Direct Travel - UofO Travel Portal (Dedicated Travel Desk Contacts)
Direct (Peak) Travel (UO Contract)

   ** After hours 24/7 emergency only, contact 866-305-8931 (Membership code 1XN3). Calls are accessed an additional $20 fee.  

Premier Travel (UO Contract)

   ** Emergency after hours 24/7 use only: 800-628-6668 (VIT code ASF9).  These calls are assessed an additional $15 service fee.

TMCs will no longer accept personal credit cards (which are not eligible for university-negotiated discounts and rebates) to pay for airline travel except when adding personal traveler results in a higher priced fare (traveler must pay the difference).  Travelers enrolled in frequent-flier programs will still earn air miles and status for their air travel, but not personal credit card rebates or rewards.

Benefits for using UO Contract Travel Agencies



Combining Personal and Business Travel

Payment is based on the most cost effective, efficient travel, and the meal per diem and lodging to which the traveler would have been entitled to while traveling on official business. This is generally one day before and one day after the dates of the conference/meeting. Direct route (official work location airport) is not required.  A comparison quote must be prepared at the time of the ticket purchase or when planning the trip if the traveler is driving. If the cost of the combined business/personal itinerary exceeds the business only itinerary, the personal portion of the airfare must be paid by the traveler at the time of ticket purchase. Consult with the travel agency regarding a split payment. Any additional ticket fee associated with the personal portion is the responsibility of the traveler. 

Comparison Quotes

The comparison quote must be based on the business dates and the most cost effective, efficient travel that meets the business purpose. For accuracy, the quote should be obtained the same day the actual ticket is purchased. Use the same source as the ticket purchase to prepare the business comparison quote, either Concur booking tool or TMC (travel agent). If the TMC provides the quotes, show the name of the agency, travel agent, date of the quote, detailed itinerary with dates, airlines, flights, and total cost including all taxes and fees. If the quotes are from the booking tool please indicate which flight you are using as the business comparison.

Comparison Quotes After Travel: When combining business with personal travel and when a comparison quote was not prepared at the time of the ticket purchase, two quotes must be obtained at the same time to determine the ratio for the business only reimbursement. Using the Concur booking tool, use future dates to show a 21+ day advance purchase and correct days of the week, avoiding holidays which tend to skew pricing. Prepare two quotes:

  • Business only itinerary and
  • Personal itinerary including additional days/additional stops.

Provide a page or two of each quote showing the pricing grid/matrix to include with the reimbursement. If the business only quote is less, use this formula to calculate the reimbursement:

Business only divided by personal time = percentage. Actual ticket price x percentage = reimbursable amount

Example: Business only price $350. Price with personal time is $500.

$350 / $500 = .7 (percentage)

Actual ticket cost $600 x .7 = $420 reimbursable amount

Airline change fees

Airfare change fees may be reimbursed with business purpose. A receipt is required.

Care should be taken to examine and approve air itineraries within 24 hours of purchase.  Travelers must review for spelling of name (must match government-issued ID), correct travel dates, and destination(s).  Generally, change fees resulting from situations outside the control of the traveler can be reimbursed.  Generally, change fees resulting from personal error (not reviewing itinerary, not having a final conference agenda, improper planning, not using legal name on federal ID, etc ) cannot be reimbursed.

Cancelled/Unused Airline Tickets

The department or traveler must contact the travel agency or airline prior to departure to cancel a reservation in order to use a ticket for future travel credit. TMCs maintain cancelled ticket data which appears on your Concur profile.  Every effort should be made to use cancelled ticket credits when planning future travel.

Registering travel

All travel must be approved through Concur Request which provides location information to Concur Locate.  Concur Locate ensures that the university has the best knowledge to assist students, staff and faculty in the event that an emergency (medical, natural disaster, political unrest) occurs for a UO traveler.  Concur Locate provides UO Safety and Risk an opportunity to analyze the need for supplemental travel insurance available through the Office of Safety and Risk. International Travel Registration.

Travel Insurance

Insurance is provided on airfare purchases made through our UO contract travel agencies (TMCs).  Add-on travel insurance or trip cancellation policies purchased personally are not reimbursed. For international travel, check with the Office of Safety and Risk Services to obtain more information on Supplemental International Travel Insurance options. Only travel insurance policies recommended and purchased through Office of Safety and Risk Services can be paid.

[2] Taxis and Shuttle Services

Taxi and shuttle service is authorized between terminals, lodgings, and work stations.

Procedures for Taxi and Shuttle

Claiming taxi expense

Expenses must be itemized by date and destination to indicate business purpose. Itemized receipt is required if $75 and above, per ride. Tips may be reimbursed up to standard tip allowance of 15%.

[3] Railroads

All employees are encouraged to travel using routes and schedules that provide the most cost-effective, efficient travel that meets the business purpose. A roomette is allowed when sleeping accommodations are needed due to overnight travel. A bedroom is allowed if no roomette is available or if special accommodations are approved because of the trip's nature or the traveler's health. Applicable meal and incidental expense per diem may not be claimed if a meal is provided and consumed as part of the roomette or bedroom rate.

[4] Bus Lines

Scheduled or charter buses may be used.

[5] Travel Awards and Frequent Flyer Mileage

Because the cost of record-keeping outweighs any monetary benefit, the university will not recapture airline bonuses awarded employees for frequent flyer miles. Frequent flyer bonuses may be used by employees as they choose unless the terms of a grant or contract require otherwise. The university will not reimburse or trade tickets purchased using frequent flyer miles.

[6] Payment in Lieu of Air Travel (Driving out of state)

Common carriers (e.g., airlines, railroads) are usually preferred for out-of-state travel. An employee may choose to travel by private vehicle instead. In such a case, the traveler may be reimbursed for ground transportation expenses, including standard mileage, parking, and tolls, up to the cost that would have been incurred had s/he traveled by common carrier.

The following costs associated with air travel can be used as a basis for comparison:

  • The cost of round-trip commercial air fare that would have been incurred. A Concur booking tool quote should be obtained prior to the travel dates.
  • Private vehicle mileage to and from the air terminal that would normally be used for departure.
  • Lodging, meal, and incidental expenses that the employee would normally incur with air travel

Procedure - Driving out of State:

Procedure Detail

When driving out of state is a personal choice, provide a comparison airfare quote prepared when the trip is planned.  If a comparison was not prepared during the trip planning, use quote dates that most closely reflect the season and days of week that the traveler would have flown.  See Comparison Quotes under (1)Airlines for additional information.  Use Expense Type 'Airfare in Lieu of Mileage".  To calculate, divide the total amount claimed by the standard mileage allowance and enter this mileage amount into the form. 

Example:  Airfare Eugene to San Francisco - $450     $450 / .58 =  775 miles

Private Vehicles


Private Vehicles may be utilized for business-related travel.

The per-mile reimbursement rate is determined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Employees who receive a Car Allowance Stipend are not eligible for per-mile reimbursement.

Mileage for the most direct, usually-traveled route may be reimbursed.

Procedure - Personally Owned Vehicle Mileage

Procedure Detail

IRS mileage allowance for 2020:  Starting Jan. 1, 2020 - 57.5 cents per mile.

IRS mileage allowance for 2019:  Starting Jan. 1, 2019 - Dec. 31, 2019  - 58 cents per mile.


UO Driver Certification is required.  

Mileage calculations generally start at the employee's official workstation, but home is used if it is the shorter distance. Private car mileage of 10 miles each way is allowed to and from the Eugene airport.

Mileage for personal reasons when in travel status will not be reimbursed.

Mileage expenses will not be reimbursed on a borrowed or rented vehicle but fuel receipts may be submitted for reimbursement. 

Employees and agents authorized to use their privately owned vehicles for official business are required to have personal automobile liability insurance to provide the primary coverage for any accidents involving that vehicle. University-provided automobile liability coverage will apply on a limited basis after the employee's primary coverage limits have been used. The university does not provide physical damage, uninsured motorist and personal injury protection for personal vehicles. For additional information, contact the Office of Safety and Risk Services.

[1] Highway mileage

Use standard mileage guides, odometer/tripometer readings, or online mapping tools (e.g., Substantial deviations from standard distances or usual routes must be justified. Mileage calculations generally start at the employee's official work station.

Procedure - Standard Mileage table:

Vehicle Rental


Vehicle rental expenses may be reimbursed. A car, boat, aircraft or other vehicle may be rented when it is the most cost-effective, efficient means of transportation that meets the business purpose. Receipts are required for vehicle rentals. Employees are encouraged to utilize State of Oregon contracts which provide discount rates, car upgrades, and insurance coverage. Employees are also encouraged to use their corporate travel cards when renting vehicles because of the primary Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) coverage provided.

Procedure - State of Oregon contract information, departmental direct bill, payment and receipt requirements

Procedure Detail

An itemized, final rental car receipt is required for reimbursement. Anyone driving for UO business should be certified through the UO Department of Parking and Transportation. UO Driver Certification.  

When renting a vehicle for UO business and using the corporate travel One Card, a claim must be filed within 90 days of the date of the incident in order for Collision Loss Damage Waiver coverage to extend to the loss. To file a claim notify

State of Oregon discount contacts are for UO business use only.  If your travel involves personal time or travel with friends, family, or any non UO employee or student, you may not use the negotiated contract rates.  Please select a car rental off contract, divide the rental total by the total number of days used and submit the business days only for reimbursement. 

For use of State of Oregon rental car contracts:, use corporate discount numbers and/or PIN to reserve:

If your department would like to set up direct billing with Enterprise and National, please contact:

Clint Fulcher

Business Rental Sales Director
Cell: 503-913-3188
Fax: 503-346-0667

Procedure - Students renting vehicles:

Procedure Detail

Students authorized to drive for university business should utilize the State of Oregon contracts as they allow underage drivers age 18 and older without adding a minimum age surcharge.

Students driving for UO business are required to obtain UO Driver's Certification from UO Transportation Services:  

Procedure - Vehicle Rental Including Personal Time:

Procedure Detail

State of Oregon rental car contracts cannot be used when combining personal time with business. Additionally, the Enterprise/National departmental direct bill feature cannot be used when personal time is included. Please see the Enterprise/National FAQs for discount code for personal rentals. To calculate reimbursement for the prorated business expense, divide the total cost of the rental by the number of total days to determine reimbursable amount for the business days.

Procedure - Official Volunteers renting vehicles:

Procedure Detail

Volunteers are required to have a Volunteer form on file with UO Office of Risk Management when driving.

Procedure - Visitors/Lecturers/Interview Candidates/Independent Contractors:

Procedure Detail

Any visitor, guest, or potential employee who is not on UO payroll is not eligible to use the State of Oregon rental vehicle contracts. Rentals cannot be direct billed to the UO department. Guests must pay for the rental vehicle and seek reimbursement. Only the CDW/LDW insurance may be reimbursed.  See the Enterprise list of discount codes for guest rentals. 

[1] Insurance on Rented Vehicles

The university provides self-insurance coverage for rental vehicles if they are to be used exclusively for official business. A certificate of insurance may be obtained from the Office of Risk Management

If a rental vehicle is to be used for a mix of personal and business purposes, the university's self-insurance coverage is only applicable for the portion of travel applicable to official business. The employee or agent will want to check with his/her insurance agent regarding coverage for personal usage.

If the employee or agent plans to travel outside the United States, its territories and possessions, and Canada, the department should contact the Office of Risk Management for help in obtaining the appropriate coverage.

Procedure - Rental Vehicle insurance:

Procedure Detail

CDW/LDW insurance may be reimbursed for the business portion only. Some international vehicle rentals have mandatory insurance requirements.  Documentation of mandatory insurance is required for reimbursement. Other types of optional insurance are not reimbursed.

[2] Responsibilities After an Accident

The renter of a vehicle involved in an accident is responsible for immediately reporting the accident to the Office of Risk Management. Supervisor's vehicle incident report

Responsibilities After an Accident

Procedure Detail

When renting a vehicle for UO business and using the corporate travel One Card or using the State of Oregon contract, a claim must be filed within 90 days of the date of the incident in order for Collision Loss Damage Waiver coverage to extend to the loss. To file a claim notify

Loaned Vehicles


Use of loaned vehicles may be authorized when it benefits the campus. Expense reimbursement is for use of the vehicle regardless of the number of passengers. Some companies may lend vehicles to campuses, departments, or individuals for specified purposes. The operator is reimbursed for actual out-of-pocket expenses arising from using the vehicle for official business.

[1] Insurance on Loaned Vehicles

The university provides coverage for loaned vehicles if the campus has agreed in writing to accept responsibility for any liability or damage to the vehicle. The loaned vehicle must be used for official business.

For additional information, including the loan agreement form, contact the Office of Risk Management.

State-owned Vehicles


Motor pool vehicles may be used for official state business only. Use of a state vehicle is not authorized when costs are charged to Agency Funds, except for use by Campus Organizations or for other legitimate state business purposes as approved by authorized campus personnel. The department that authorizes a state vehicle's use is financially accountable for damages and all costs resulting from violations of policies relating to state vehicle use.

Procedure - Motor Pool

Procedure Detail

Motor Pool vehicles may be used by UO employees, students and official volunteers with the approval of the department head and from UO Parking and Transportation.

Members of organizations whose only fiscal connection to the University is the receipt of or an accountability for incidental fee support or having an interest in one or more EMU or Housing Trust Fund Accounts may rent vehicle from state owned motor pool. The department that authorizes a state vehicle's use is financially accountable for damages and all costs resulting from violations of policies relating to state vehicle use.

Official Volunteers are required to have a Volunteer form on file with UO Safety and Risk Services. This rule shall apply to State-owned vehicles, hired vehicles and borrowed vehicles used on University business travel.

Drivers must hold current UO Driver Certification

Oregon State University Motor Pool site is in Glenwood. Vehicles offered include hybrids, sedans, pickups, mini and large passenger vans. Reservations are made calling (541) 346-2000 or by going online. 

Driver's are encouraged to complete the OSU Driver Authorization profile for quicker, more efficient handling of reservations and direct billing to department. 

State Motor Pool (Salem) information: Motor Pool Checkout Card Application

Billing:  Billing for motor pool vehicles is distributed to your department monthly by the Travel Office within the Business Affairs Office.

Motor Pool Van Rental: To rent an 8 or 12 passenger van, or large cargo van from the Motor Pool, you must pass a Van Safety Test and have an active UO Driver Certification. Students, volunteers and temporary employees need to take the Van Safety Test annually

Accidents: The renter of a vehicle involved in an accident, must report the accident within 24 hours to the UO Safety and Risk Services.  

Supervisor's Vehicle Incident Report.


[1] Private Use Prohibited

Using a state-owned vehicle for private purposes or allowing another person to do so is prohibited (ORS 283.395) and punishable, upon conviction, by a fine (ORS 283.990).

[2] Vehicle Safety Including Authorized Drivers

University policy on Traffic, Parking and Vehicle Safety (former OAR 580-40-0030) provides safety guidelines regarding transportation in a state owned, leased or controlled vehicle.

[3] Overnight Parking at Employee's Residence

A state vehicle may be kept overnight at an employee's residence when doing so is approved in advance by authorized campus personnel.