All non-essential university travel, both international and domestic was suspended on March 15, 2020.
UPDATES as of 10/15/2020:
Travel waivers are now required for all UO Essential Business travel outside of a traveler's county limits. Travelers who live outside of Lane County and are traveling to a county where a UO campus is located will not need to fill out a travel waiver.
Non-Research related travel approval may now be approved at the department head level. Department heads should review the request and confirm that the travel meets the “essential travel” guidelines. Departments are responsible for confirming that the activity related to the travel is appropriate and that all safety and COVID-19 precautions have been considered.
Research related travel will still need approval from their respective department dean and an approved research recovery plan.
What is Essential Travel?
International or domestic travel may be deemed “essential” only when the travel demonstrably and significantly advances one or more of the following:
- maintenance of critical business functions;
- continuity of grant funding or completion of grant-required activities and deadlines;
- ability to meet contract deliverable requirements;
- timely and critical research and scholarship opportunities; and
- Continuity in academic progress, degree completion, or graduation.
Steps for Approval of Essential Travel
Step 1: Confirm your travel is Essential
- Review and confirm your travel request meets the essential travel requirements.
- Obtain approval from your respective department head (respective department dean if research related) in writing
Step 2: Risk Mitigation Planning and Waiver Form
- Complete the travel waiver request form. A copy of your completed answers will be emailed to the email indicated in the “traveler email” field.
- Complete the Domestic Travel Acknowledgement of Risks form or the International Travel Acknowledgement of Risks form a copy of this form will be emailed to the email indicated on the waiver form.
Step 3: Complete Concur Request
- Create a Concur travel request. The following must be attached to the Concur travel request:
- PDF of email approval from your department head or (respective department dean if research related), which confirms your travel is deemed essential.
Step 3A: If your travel is research related;
- All research related travel requires an approved research recovery plan.
- The incident management team’s travel advisory group will review the request prior to approval within Concur.
Covid19 Travel Safety Information and Guidelines
The UO Incident Management Team is helping to track the COVID-19 situation for campus and responds as quickly as possible to sudden changes in travel restrictions. We remind all prospective travelers to keep abreast of the following sources: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), U.S. Department of State, World Health Organization (WHO), U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and similar agencies that are issuing policy in the state or country to which you plan to travel.