decorative-icon Payments to Foreign Entities


Payments to Foreign Entities- pcard, accounts payable, process flow chart

Obtaining a Tax Exception when Using University PCard for Intangible items - software, subscriptions, services, conferences, and images

PCS PCard Policy allows the use of the University PCard to purchase Tangible items from foreign vendors for goods, equipment that does not include annual software subscriptions or on-site installation and/or training, any items that can be physcially held. 

BAO has created a Tax Exception procedure so that the PCard can also be usedcan be bought from foreign vendors using a PCard. 

This is a Special One-time-only BAO Tax PCard exception which allows for the purchase of Intangible, such as software, images, database access, subscripitons, services, including purchases that do not requiring shipping. This procedure allows the University to be compliant with Federal tax regulations and may require additional taxes to be charged to the Department.  

PCard Tax Exception Request procedures for Intangible Purchases from a Foreign Vendor 

  1. The vendor is required to have a Banner Vendor Number.  If the foreign vendor is not yet set up in Banner A/P, obtain a W-8 form from them or their website, and set them up per Accounts Payable procedures. 
  2. If a W-8 form cannot be obtained, send an email to Accounts Payable at requesting vendor set up, following all other A/P vendor set up procedures, including the invoice attachment.  In the body of the email explain that your department wants to pay the foreign vendor for an intangible purchase using your PCard, but that when you tried to obtain a W-8 form from the vendor, you were unable to do so.  And that you are requesting an exception from the W-8 requirement. 
  3. Accounts Payable will review your request and set the foreign vendor set up for a one-time only PCard purchase.   
  4. Once they have a Vendor Number, send an email to  with  the email subject line "Request for Foreign Vendor PCard Exception".  The body of the email must include the a>vendor’s name, b> their Banner Vendor number, c>the amount of the payment, and d>have a copy of the website order form, quote, or invoice attached.  If the amount requires a conversion, send the amount in U.S. dollar that was charged to the PCard once you have this information.
  5. If it is determined there is applicable taxes on the purchase, your department will be required to provide an index to charge for the taxes.  The grossed-up tax rate is 42.857%.  A Banner JV will be created by BAO to charge the expense to the purchasing department's index.  This is because there is no way to withhold taxes on a PCard purchase.   
  6. If there is no valid W-8 form provided by or on file for the vendor, the purchase will always require an index to charge for the tax.  This is because treaty benefits can only be claimed on a W-8 form. 
  7. A PCard Foreign Vendor Intangible Exception Request Approval will be emailed to you.   
  8. You may then make the purchase with your PCard. 
  9. The exception is required to be uploaded to Concur attached to the expense line in question as an additional receipt .pdf image.  
  10. Note: this approval is a one-time purchase only exception, specific to vendor, specific to the date, and specific to amount of the purchase.  Any other purchases from the same vendor will require another exception request.  

Paying Through Accounts Payable

  • A W-8 form is required for vendor set up.  Follow A/P procedures.
  • Payments for tangible goods or products are not subject to U.S. reporting or tax withholding.
  • Payments for services provided outside the U. S. by Foreign Entities and individuals are considered foreign source, and are not subject to U.S. reporting or withholding.
  • Services provided inside the U.S. are subject to U.S. Taxation which include reporting and/or tax withholding when applicable.
  • Payments for Royalties, Software licenses, or Access or Use licenses purchased from foreign entities and used inside the U.S. are subject to U.S. taxation.
  • Awards & Prizes are subject to 30% tax withholding.  There are no treaty benefits for this type of income.
  • U.S. tax regulations include tax reporting and 30% tax withholding or 42.857% additional tax gross up, unless Treaty Benefits are not available and formally claimed.  Or unless the vendor provides a valid W-8ECI or W-8EXP.

Payment Process for International Individuals

Tax Rates when the Purchase is from a Foreign Vendor who has provided a W-8 form
Being Purchased A W-8 Form sent to A/P is required- Pcard usage- a W-8 Form sent to A/P is required
  Tax Rate  
Any tangible items that require shipping. Such as goods,equipment w/o on-site installation or training  0% If Pcard, BAO exception not required, tax rate 0%
Software, Rentals, Licenses, Images, Services inside the U.S., this includes Virtual presentations where the presenter is inside the U.S. (not necessarily on campus) 30% withheld tax or 42.857% grossed up tax, unless Formal Treaty Benefits claimed If Pcard-tax gross up rate is 42.857%, and needs BAO Pcard exception , procedures found at
Services outside the U.S.inside the U.S. this include virtual presentations where the presenter is outside the U.S., which must be re-affirmed after the fact 0% If Pcard-tax rate 0%, Needs BAO exception,  procedures found at
Software, Rentals, Licenses, Images, Services inside the U.S., this includes Virtual presentations where the presenter is inside the U.S. (not necessarily on campus) If vendor is an Entity with establishment in a country that has a tax treaty with the U.S. and Formal Treaty Benefits claimed on their  W-8 form, 0%.  Individuals generally 8233 form also required If Pcard-tax rate 0%, Needs BAO exception ,  procedures found at 
Please contact with questions.  


    Setting up a Foreign Vendor in Banner

    Collect the appropriate W8 form from the organization. There are four W8 forms available for foreign entities (non-individuals). Note: a sole proprietor, not a corporation or partnership, must use the W-8BEN or W-8ECI form.  The vendor may determine the appropriate form by following the criteria outlined at the top of each of the forms or their instructions. The W-8BEN-E form is most commonly used by foreign entities to claim foreign status and treaty benefits. 

    W-8BEN: Individuals only See Payment Process for International Individuals

    W-8BEN-EUsed primarily by entities to claim foreign status and to claim treaty benefits.

    • Entities not eligible for the other W8 forms should use the W-8BEN-E.
    • A foreign entity from a country that has negotiated a tax treaty with the U.S. that has an article contained that exempts the type of income they are providing, will need to complete a W-8BEN-E to claim treaty benefits.
    • A Foreign or a U.S. tax identification number is required for exemption from tax withholding.
    • All fields in line 14-15 must be completed to claim treaty benefits exemption.

    W-8ECIUsed primarily by the payee or beneficial owner that all the income that is listed on the form is effectively connected with the conduct of a trade or business located within the United States.

    • The type of income must be identified on Line 9 of the form to qualify for exemption. If it is not listed we are required to obtain from the entity a different type of W8 form.
    • A U.S. tax identification number is required for exemption from tax withholding.

    W-8EXPUsed by the following entities to claim exemption from tax withholding, foreign governments, foreign tax exempt organization, foreign private foundation, govt. of a U.S. possession, or foreign central bank of issue.

    • The entity must be claiming exemption under IRS code 115(2), 501 (c), 892, 895 or 1443(b). Otherwise they need to file a W-8BEN or W-8ECI.

    W-8IMYUsed by an intermediary, a withholding foreign partnership, a withholding foreign trust, or flow through entity.

    • Copies of appropriate withholding certificates, documentary evidence, and withholding statements must be attached to the W-8IMY as well.


    Tax Withholding 1042-s Tax Form

    All taxes withheld are sent to the IRS in the name of the beneficial owner of the payment.  The 1042-S form is used to tax report the gross amounts paid to and taxes withheld from foreign persons or foreign entities that are subject to income tax reporting, even if no amount is deducted and withheld from the payment due to a treaty benefit. The recipient may use the information on the form to fill out a U.S. tax return and request a tax refund from the IRS.  The 1042-S forms must be sent by the University of Oregon to both the IRS and to the recipients by March 15 of the year following the calendar year in which the income subject to reporting was paid. If March 15 falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the due date is the next business day. The University will make every effort to have these forms in the mail sooner than the due date.