The Business Affairs Accounts Payable Vendor Coordinator is responsible for vendor set up and maintenance. To get a new vendor set up in Banner, a current UO Substitute W-9 form (US entities) or an original W-8 form (foreign individual and entities), along with supporting documents must accompany all vendor requests.
Important Note: Required, most current versions of the forms are now available on the BAO website. Please remove any older versions you may have stored on your computer as they will not be acceptable for vendor set- up. The only exception will be for a temporary 30 day set-up for refunds.
A UO Substitute W-9 form or an original W-8 form (most current version) must accompany all vendor requests regarding:
- Travel reimbursements
- Participant support payments
- Survey payments
- Subject payments
- Personal Service Contracts (PSCs)
- All other types of payments (except refunds see item 8)
The UO Substitute W-9, W-8 forms, and fax cover sheets are available at:
University of Oregon requires a UO Substitute W-9 (most current version) to be on file before making payment to vendors.
Although the information recorded on the UO Substitute W-9 form may be similar to what is typically provided on an IRS W-9 form, UO is required to collect additional information from vendors and an IRS W-9 form may not be submitted in lieu of the UO Substitute W-9.
The University is now required to report additional information to the State of Oregon regarding our annual expenditures with minority, women owned, and emerging small businesses (MWESB). Information on state certified MWESB statuses is available at the state website: Minority and Women Business Enterprise Certification or contact them at (503) 986-0075.
This information is not available on a standard IRS W-9 form; therefore to ensure that we are in compliance, we must ask vendors to complete a current UO Substitute W-9 form. The UO Substitute W-9 form is a fillable pdf form and can be emailed to vendors. The form may also be faxed or mailed to the vendor to be filled out and returned to the requesting department. Departments may not fill the form out for the vendor. The vendor needs to provide the legal name and identification number for an IRS tax identification name and number match.
When an individual is completing a UO Substitute W-9 they must provide a home address for
tax reporting purposes. An individual should not list an office address or work address in the address field. If the person wants us to mail payment to an address other than the home address they can provide a second address to be added to the Banner system.
The completed UO Substitute W-9 (most current version) forms accompanying a vendor request (US entities) may be imaged, copied or faxed.
The University of Oregon requires a W-8 form for all foreign individuals and foreign entities regardless of the type of payment. There are five different types of W-8 forms (most current version). Foreign individuals will most likely choose to complete IRS W-8BEN. Foreign non-individual entities will most likely choose to complete an IRS W-BEN-E. Only the foreign individual/entity can determine which W-8 form applies to them. Departments may not fill out the form for the vendor.
The original W-8 form needs to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org at the time of the vendor set up request. You can send either an original ink signed W-8 to AP through campus mail, or by dropping it off in AP with supporting documentation, or you can email the original scanned W-8 with supporting documentation. We cannot accept electronically signed forms. Note: We can accept the W-8 electronically in an email, if you are sending an imaged copy of the completed W-8 from the vendor then the email from the vendor with the attached W-8 must to be forwarded to Accounts Payable. (Accounts Payable has to certify receipt of the W-8 from the actual vendor in order for us to proceed with issuing payment).
W-8 forms are reviewed in the BAO office before a vendor is set up in Banner. Once the foreign vendor has been set up the address is valid for one year. Payments requested in succeeding years will be reviewed for the type of payment, foreign entity address and validity of the existing W-8 form. The address will be reactivated for another year once all necessary information or documentation has been received. All U.S. tax identification information numbers provided must match IRS records.
Below is a list of tips to use when conducting vendor queries:
- Use % both before and after the vendor name.
- Drop the word The off the beginning of your vendor name search.
- Leave off all punctuation except dashes or apostrophes.
- Try all upper case.
- Try all lower case.
- Try the vendor name with just the first word capitalized and no spaces between the words.
- Try capitalizing each word in the vendor name with no spaces between words.
- Try the acronym for the vendor name.
- Try the vendor name exactly as it appears including any upper and lower case numbers or letters.
- Try the less is sometimes might be better rule. Try % before and after any unusual or less commonly usedwords.
Conduct a thorough vendor search in BANNER. Try several spellings, for example, McDonald or Mc Donald or Mc donald, IKON or Ikon. BANNER is case sensitive. You also need to be aware that many vendors use a 'Doing Business As' (DBA) name. Their legal name will appear before their business name. For example, "John Doe dba/Creative Vendors." Their invoice may only say "Creative Vendors." The only way to find this vendor is to use the percent sign in front of and at the end of the name. For example, %Creative Ven%. It may take a little longer to do a search this way but you will find most vendors this way.
If you do not find a vendor after doing a thorough search you will need to send a new vendor request.
For any new vendor set up, as well as any activation of an inactive vendor that begins with a V000_ _ _ _ _ number, a UO Substitute W-9 (most current version) and supporting documents are required. If you send just the UO Substitute W-9 alone or the invoice alone, we will not be able to process your request. You will need to send both pieces of documentation at the same time to AP. The two pieces of documentation are required regardless of whether you are purchasing or paying a vendor.
If you are trying to place a PURCHASE ORDER with a company, you will need to send to AP:
1) A UO Substitute W-9 or an original W-8 form (most current version).
- NOTE: Please see under the topic W-8 above for further detail about W-8's. Central Accounts Payable must certify receipt of the W-8 from the actual vendor in order for us to proceed with the vendor set up and issuing payment; therefor, the original email from the foreign entity with the W-8 attached must be fowarded to AP when a new vendor request is made).
2) A copy of a quote, estimate, web page, email, fax cover letter, business card, or something from the vendor showing the business information and address. On the request let us know you need the new vendor set up for Purchase Order purposes and we will add the vendor with a VO address. (Later, when you have been invoiced, you will need to send just a copy of the invoice to Accounts Payable so a VP address can be added for payment).
If you are trying to make a PAYMENT to a vendor or a non-employee/student, please send:
1) A UO Substitute W-9 or an original W-8 form (most current version).
2) A copy of an invoice, registration form, subscription renewal, hotel reservation, front page and/or signature page of a PSC or Contract, Accounts Payable Activation Request form or other supporting documentation so we can add a VP address to Banner.
Again, we need two pieces of documentation for any new vendor set up. A new vendor set up request will not be completed without both pieces of documentation. You can send these two pieces of documentation together to Accounts Payable with a note on it that states NEW VENDOR, your name, and your phone number. You may fax the request to Accounts Payable at 346-2393, email the scanned request to email@example.com, or send the request through campus mail to Business Affairs Accounts Payable.
- Departmental contact information: We need your name and number to call you if there are problems or questions. Do not send a fax cover sheet unless there is no room on the invoice for your note. Also, do not put a note over anything printed on the documentations, or use colored paper or post its (when we receive the fax, it may be unreadable). Please make sure the vendor phone number and address are legible.
- Status of your vendor requests: New vendors will be established in BANNER following the receipt of your request. We process many new vendors and cannot call to confirm the receipt of your request or when your request has been completed.
- UO Purchase Orders, Disbursement Request forms, handwritten or typed notes/emails from UO departments CANNOT be used for vendor set up or address changes: We can do this only in very rare instances such as when a refund is being issued. We must have something official from the vendor, generally their invoice. If you need a vendor address set up so you can process an online purchase order; please fax or email to Accounts Payable a vendor quote, estimate, web page, email, fax cover letter, business card, or something from the vendor along with a current UO Substitute W-9; or send your request with an original W-8 form so we can add a VO address to Banner.
- Vendor registration forms, order forms, etc: These are acceptable for new vendor set ups as long as they are accompanied by a current UO Substitute W-9 or an original W-8 form.
- Subscriptions renewals: These also require a UO substitute W-9 or original W-8 form for new vendor set up and should to be processed carefully. If a pre-printed envelope accompanies the subscription form, then make sure you fax or email a copy of the envelope and the subscription form (which contains the contact information) to Accounts Payable in order to get the correct payment address added to Banner. The remit to address on the envelope may be different than the correspondence address on the subscription form.
- Where to send vendor requests: Do not email requests for vendor set ups to individuals in Accounts Payable as they may be unexpectedly out of the office. It is always best to send your scanned requests to the general Accounts Payable email address: firstname.lastname@example.org fax them to 346-2393. If you email or fax vendor requests to the general Accounts Payable email address or fax number, then someone else in A/P would be able to take care of your requests. Vendor requests that are accompanied by original W-8s can be delivered or sent campus mail to Business Affairs Accounts Payable.
- Originals or copies of W-9s or W-8s should not be retained in departments: Once a new vendor has been established in Banner by Accounts Payable, please destroy any copies of W-9s or W-8s you have retained within your department.
If you have an address change for a vendor, (for example the invoice shows a different address than what is in BANNER), please send a copy of the invoice, registration form, subscription renewal envelope or other documentation showing the address change to Accounts Payable. We will verify the address and update the account. Some vendors have requested that ALL payments go to a certain address no matter what is on the invoice and we cannot change these. Be sure and write your name and contact information on the documentation so we can contact you if that is the case, or if we need additional information
A UO Substitute W-9 or W-8 form is NOT needed for address changes, only for new vendor requests.
If you have an address change for an employee or student complete an Accounts Payable Activation Request form and send it to our office. We do NOT need a UO Substitute W-9 form for any employee or student already entered in Banner with a 95OXXXXXX or 951XXXXXX number unless the UO Banner ID does not have a tax id number attached to the record. We will contact you and let you know if you need to get a UO Substitute W-9 for the individual.
If you are paying a PSC or a Contract and you need a new vendor set up or address change, you will need to fax the following information to A/P at 346-2393 or email it to: email@example.com. (Please remember to include your name and phone extension along with details regarding your request).
- The first page of the PSC that contains the legal name, address and signatures of all parties.
- A UO Substitute W-9 Form, (most current version) if the vendor is a US entity. (By the time you make this request the vendor should have faxed or emailed this form to you).
- An original W-8 Form, (most current version) if the vendor is a foreign individual or entity. Please send campus mail the original W-8 form with your vendor request or you may deliver the form with your request to Accounts Payable. For more information on paying services to a foreign entity, please see: Payments to Foreign Entities.
- The first page of the contract with the legal name.
- The signature page (usually last page) with address and signatures of all parties.
- A UO Substitute W-9 Form, (most current version) if the vendor is a U.S. entity. (By the time you make this request the vendor should have faxed or emailed this form to you).
- An original W-8 Form (most current version) if the vendor is a foreign individual or entity. Please send campus mail the original W-8 form with your vendor request or you may deliver the form with your request to Accounts Payable. For more information on paying services to a foreign entity, please see: Payment Process for International Visitors
Students or employees: If you are reimbursing a student or an employee, and you get the Banner message "NEEDS TO BE ACTIVATED BY ACCOUNTS PAYABLE" you will need to complete an Accounts Payable Activation Request form. Be sure to include the name, address and BANNER ID (95XXXXXXX or 951XXXXXX number) and the reason for activation on the Accounts Payable Activation Request form and fax or email the request to Accounts Payable.
If you need a vendor set up or activated for a traveler, then please fill out the Accounts Payable Activation Request Form (we must have a home address) and have the traveler fill out a UO Substitute W-9 (most current version) or an original W-8 form (most current version). Attach the documents together and either fax them to Accounts Payable at 346-2393 or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org, if the vendor is a US entity. If the vendor is a foreign individual, please send campus mail the original W-8 form with your vendor request or you may deliver the form with your request to Accounts Payable.
For more information on paying travel to a foreign entity, please see: Payments to Foreign Entities.
A traveler who has never been a student or employee will be assigned a vendor number that begins with V in Banner. In order to process a travel reimbursement in Duck Web, you will need to query in Banner for the vendor number and then use that vendor number as the Traveler ID in Duck Web. Accounts Payable does not assign 95XXXXXXX numbers.
Note: Please remember to indicate in the non-resident alien field, on the Accounts Payable Activation Request form, whether the person is a non-resident alien or not. Do not leave this field blank. If they are non-resident you will need to attach the appropriate documentation listed on the bottom of the Accounts Payable Activation Request form.
If you find a vendor and get the Banner message Vendor is Invalid, or has not been activated by Accounts Payable, you will need to determine the reason for this message. You may need to return to the query screen in FTIIDEN in order to find out why the vendor is invalid or inactive. Generally, you will get this message under four circumstances.
1) You are reimbursing a student or employee under their Banner ID (aka 95XXXXXXX number), and the Accounts Payable Office has never activated them in Banner. They will need to be activated so you can process the reimbursement through Banner or the Duck Web Travel form. In this case you will need to complete and send an Accounts Payable Activation Request form to AP to have the account activated.
2) You are paying a vendor that is terminated. You will need to return to FTIIDEN. When you query on the vendor name in FTIIDEN, this vendor has a T in the V Column. This means this vendor is terminated because they were sold or changed to another vendor. With your cursor on the vendor name, you will need to select Options. Select Vendor Address Information. An address box will come up. Look in street line 2 or 3 of the first payment address (VP1) for a message that says SEE V#_______. You will then need to use the new number listed. (If a vendor has changed ownership multiple times, you may have to repeat this process to find the current vendor number).
This is the only way to know which vendor number you should use. If you pull a terminated vendor into the invoice payment screen, then you will get the message. Vendor is invalid or has not been activated by the accounts payable office. It is always best to search for your vendor and make sure the address you are looking for is in the system in FTIIDEN first, before going to the invoice payment screen.
3) You are paying an old vendor that has not been paid for 6 or more years and it has been inactivated. In this case there will be no message in the address lines. In FTIIDEN there will be a T in the V Column. This is treated like a new vendor set up and you will need to send UO Substitute W-9 (most current version) or original W-8 form (most current version) along with supporting documents. The vendor will either be reactivated or set up with a new vendor number. Again, a new UO Substitute W-9 or an original W-8 is needed along with supporting documentation.
4) You have a corrupted banner session. Exit out if banner and then try again. If this does not work, reboot your computer and it should work.
Refunds should be issued using the same form of payment that was used on the original transaction. A Banner invoice should only be generated if you are refunding a cash or check payment. Credit card payments must be credited to the card used in the initial transaction.
The University of Oregon requires a current UO Substitute W-9 or original IRS W-8 form for all outgoing payments EXCEPT in cases of refunds.
If you are needing to send a refund payment you will need to provide:
- Name - the person who made the original payment to the University
- Address - where the payment should be sent to
- Amount - of refund being issued
- Reason - for refund.
- Requester – name and contact information in case we have questions
You must send an email, a cancelation notice, registration slip, canceled order, canceled check or some other form of supporting documentation showing the reason for refund, canceled order, canceled check or some other form of supporting documentation showing the reason for refund.
Vendor accounts for refunds will be active for 30 days only. If you do not issue the refund within the 30 day time period you will need to send a request to have the account temporarily reactivated.
If you have further questions regarding Vendor Requests, contact the Accounts Payable Vendor Coordinator by phone at 6-3189 or email at email@example.com.