Vehicles - Personal, Rental, State Owned

( State Owned = Motor Pool)

State-owned Vehicles

Motor pool vehicles may be used for official state business only. Use of a state vehicle is not authorized when costs are charged to Agency Funds, except for use by Campus Organizations or for other legitimate state business purposes as approved by authorized campus personnel. The department that authorizes a state vehicle's use is financially accountable for damages and all costs resulting from violations of policies relating to state vehicle use.

Motor Pool

External Sites


Campus and State vehicles may be used for travel by UO employees, students and official volunteers with the approval of the department head and a valid UO Driver's Certification. Official Volunteers (non UO employees) are required to have a Volunteer form on file with UO Safety and Risk Services. This rule applies to State-owned vehicles, hired vehicles and borrowed vehicles and personally owned vehicles used for University business travel. 

This rule extends to and includes (but is not limited to) members of organizations whose only fiscal connection to the University is the receipt of or an accountability for incidental fee support or having an interest in one or more EMU or Housing Trust Fund Accounts. The department that authorizes a state vehicle's use is financially accountable for damages and all costs resulting from violations of policies relating to state vehicle use.

Oregon State University administers the Motorpool facility in Glenwood. They offer a wide variety of vehicles for short-term rental -- ranging from hybrids, sedans, pick-ups, to large passenger vans.

University of Oregon employees with a current UO driver certification card can make a reservation by calling (541) 346-2000 or by going online to

Motor Pool checkout cards and your yellow driver certification card are required when you rent vehicles from State Motor Pool in Salem. Billing for these motor pool vehicles is done monthly by the Travel Office within the Business Affairs Office.

Motor Pool Checkout Card Application


The renter of a vehicle involved in an accident, must report the accident within 24 hours to the UO Safety and Risk Services.

Supervisor's Vehicle Incident Report

[1] Private Use Prohibited

Using a state-owned vehicle for private purposes or allowing another person to do so is prohibited (ORS 283.395) and punishable, upon conviction, by a fine (ORS 283.990).

[2] Vehicle Safety Including Authorized Drivers

University policy on Traffic, Parking and Vehicle Safety (former OAR 580-40-0030) provides safety guidelines regarding transportation in a state owned, leased or controlled vehicle.

[3] Overnight Parking at Employee's Residence

A state vehicle may be kept overnight at an employee's residence when doing so is approved in advance by authorized campus personnel.

Private Vehicles

Private Vehicles may be utilized for business-related travel.

The per-mile reimbursement rate is determined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Employees who receive a Car Allowance Stipend are not eligible for per-mile reimbursement.

Mileage for the most direct, usually-traveled route may be reimbursed.

Procedure - Personally Owned Vehicle Mileage

IRS mileage allowance for 2021:  Starting Jan. 1, 2021 - 56 cents per mile.

IRS mileage allowance for 2020:  Starting Jan. 1, 2020 - Dec. 31, 2020  - 57.5 cents per mile.

Mileage calculations generally start at the employee's official workstation, but home is used if it is the shorter distance. Private car mileage of 10 miles each way is allowed to and from the Eugene airport.

Mileage for personal reasons when in travel status will not be reimbursed.

Mileage expenses will not be reimbursed on a borrowed or rented vehicle, but fuel receipts may be submitted for reimbursement. 

Employees and agents authorized to use their privately owned vehicles for official business are required to have personal automobile liability insurance to provide the primary coverage for any accidents involving that vehicle. University-provided automobile liability coverage will apply on a limited basis after the employee's primary coverage limits have been used. The university does not provide physical damage, uninsured motorist and personal injury protection for personal vehicles. For additional information, contact the Office of Safety and Risk Services.

UO Driver Certification is required for anyone driving for UO business. 

Driver certification instructions

For UO employee mileage working at a secondary location:  University Employee Transportation Reimbursement Guidelines

IRS Guidelines:  When is mileage deductible/reimburseable: IRS Transportation Chart


[1] Highway mileage

Use standard mileage guides, odometer/tripometer readings, or online mapping tools (e.g., Substantial deviations from standard distances or usual routes must be justified. Mileage calculations generally start at the employee's official work station.

Procedure - Mileage support documentation

Preferred means of verifying mileage is the Concur Mileage Calculator. Other options include a mileage log containing odometer readings,  or an online map program printed and attached to the expense report.

Travel Log Blank Template.xlsx

UO-Mileage Log.pdf


Vehicle Rental

Vehicle rental expenses may be reimbursed. A car, boat, aircraft or other vehicle may be rented when it is the most cost-effective, efficient means of transportation that meets the business purpose. Receipts are required for vehicle rentals. Employees are encouraged to utilize State of Oregon contracts which provide discount rates, car upgrades, and insurance coverage. Employees are also encouraged to use their corporate travel cards when renting vehicles because of the primary Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) coverage provided.

Procedure - State of Oregon contract information, departmental direct bill, payment and receipt requirements

A Concur Request should be entered for vehicle travel to obtain departmental approval and for UO's Duty of Care requirement. An itemized, final rental car receipt is required for reimbursement. Anyone driving for UO business must be certified through the UO Transportation Services UO Driver Certification.

Driver certification instructions              

When renting a vehicle for UO business, you must report an accident within 24 hours.  If you used a State of Oregon contracted vehicle or hold a corporate travel One Card, this insurance is primary and UO Safety and Risk Services will assist with filing an insurance claim.  See Vehicle Claims for assistance and information. 

State of Oregon discount contacts are for UO business use only.  If your travel involves personal time or travel with friends, family, or any non UO employee or student, you may not use the negotiated contract rates.  Please select a car rental off contract, divide the rental total by the total number of days used and submit the business days only for reimbursement. 

For use of State of Oregon rental car contracts:, use corporate discount numbers and/or PIN to reserve:

Direct Bill for UO departments with frequent rentals is available for Enterprise and National.  If your department would like to explore a direct bill account, please contact:

Aaron Brown, Business Rental Sales Director

Cell: 619-997-0413

Procedure - Students renting vehicles

Students authorized to drive for university business should utilize the State of Oregon contracts as they allow underage drivers age 18 and older without adding a minimum age surcharge.  Be sure to enter a Concur Request for proper departmental approval and for UO's Duty of Care requirement.

Students driving for UO business are required to obtain UO Driver's Certification from UO Transportation Services:

Procedure - Vehicle Rental Including Personal Time

State of Oregon rental car contracts cannot be used when combining personal time with business. Additionally, the Enterprise/National departmental direct bill feature cannot be used when personal time is included. To calculate reimbursement for the prorated business expense, divide the total cost of the "off contract"  rental by the number of total days to determine reimbursable amount for the business days.  Enterprise offers UO employees a personal rental discount code:  XZ46RET

Procedure - Official Volunteers renting vehicles

Volunteers are required to have a Volunteer form on file with UO Office of Safety and Risk when driving.

Procedure - Visitors/Lecturers/Interview Candidates/Independent Contractors

Any visitor, guest, or potential employee who is not on UO payroll is not eligible to use the State of Oregon rental vehicle contracts. Rentals cannot be direct billed to the UO department. Guests must pay for the rental vehicle and seek reimbursement. Only the CDW/LDW insurance may be reimbursed.  See the Enterprise list of discount codes for guest rentals.

[1] Insurance on Rented Vehicles

The university provides self-insurance coverage for rental vehicles if they are to be used exclusively for official business. A certificate of insurance may be obtained from the Office of Risk Management

If a rental vehicle is to be used for a mix of personal and business purposes, the university's self-insurance coverage is only applicable for the portion of travel applicable to official business. The employee or agent will want to check with his/her insurance agent regarding coverage for personal usage.

If the employee or agent plans to travel outside the United States, its territories and possessions, and Canada, the department should contact the Office of Risk Management for help in obtaining the appropriate coverage.

Procedure - Rental Vehicle insurance
  • Insurance coverage is included when using the State of Oregon contracts or using your corporate travel One Card.
  • CDW/LDW insurance for a vehicle rented off the State of Oregon discount contracts may be reimbursed for the business portion only.
  • Some international vehicle rentals have mandatory insurance requirements.  Documentation of mandatory insurance is required for reimbursement.
  • Other types of optional insurance are not reimbursed, i.e: PAI (Personal Accident Insurance), LSI (Liability Supplemental Insurance), RAI (Roadside Assistance Insurance).

[2] Responsibilities After an Accident

The renter of a vehicle involved in an accident is responsible for immediately reporting the accident to the Office of Risk Management. Vehicle Claims

Procedure - Responsibilities After an Accident

When renting a vehicle for UO business and using the corporate travel One Card or using the State of Oregon contract, you must report an accident within 24 hours.  Safety and Risk Services will assist with filing an insurance claim which must occur within 90 days of the date of the incident for Collision Loss Damage Waiver coverage to extend to the loss.  Contact for assistance and information.