The University of Oregon sometimes hires employees who will not be physically working at one of our campus locations or is unable to be on campus by their first day of work. In these situations, the remote hire process must be used in order to comply with the Form I-9 deadlines.
The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requires that:
- Employees complete Section 1 of the Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 any time after they have accepted a position with the university but no later than their hire date.
- Employers or Authorized Representatives verifies the new hires I-9 documents and completes Section 2 of the Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 no later than three business days of the hire date.
Note: The remote hire process can only be used for US Citizens and US Residents. International employees won’t have the required paperwork until they arrive in the US.
Who is an Authorized Representative?
A Human Resource or Payroll Professional, or Notary who has been authorized to act on the university’s behalf to:
- Review Form I-9 Section 1 for completeness.
- Physically examine and photocopy all I-9 documents presented by the new employee.
- Complete Form I-9 Section 2, which includes recording the employee’s first day of work with the UO.
The department should help the new hire locate an Authorized Representative when possible. Human Resources can help locate institutions near the new hire that can assist them with completing the Form I-9 through CUPA’s I-9 Reciprocal Processing Consortium. Contact HR at 6-3159 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
*IMPORTANT STATE RESTRICTIONS ON NOTARIES:
- In the state of California, notaries who are not qualified and bonded as immigration consultants under Business and Professions Code Sections 22440-22449, may not complete or make the certification on Form I-9, even in a non-notarial capacity.
- In the state of Texas, notaries are not authorized to certify a Form I-9.
The hiring department should provide the following to the new hire:
- Form I-9 with List of Acceptable Documents and instructions
- Form I-9 deadline date(s)
- Remote Hire I-9 Processing Instructions for the Employee
- Letter to the Designated Authorized Representative
Submission instructions for completed I-9:
Payroll Document Submission